Saturday, December 5, 2009

Trapped

I feel the only time a man can’t fake his identity is when he’s trapped. Not sure if it is true for all beings on earth. Let research prove it.

Almost five minutes have passed. The elevator hasn’t moved an inch. It had shaken and stopped on its way up … halfway through the eleven floors to get to my office.

We got caught … yes, just the two of us. Of all people, there’s only this girl with me from the call center on the tenth floor. She’s busy listening to her iPod. Aaaaargh … so annoying.

This god-damn elevator doesn’t move. And a co-passenger merrily spending time with earphones tucked to her ears. Plain problem-unconscious!

She looks relaxed. Modern lady … not afraid of unknown men, may be. I feel sick, sweating at the very thought of being with a stranger woman, also getting late for work. Pure frustration!

‘Hello, do you hear me?’, I call up the attendant on ground using the phone.

‘Remain calm, sir’, he advises ‘we are on our way’.

I feel restless. What a mess! For a moment, even the lady seems a sure distraction. She seems so comfortable, that’s irritating. Need to teach her a lesson … do I grope her?

At least, she will get a freaking lesson in life – not to trust strangers!

Her blouse top is cut ridiculously low, exposing a bit of what every man wants to see … but never gets to. Shut up, I need to think sober. I look up to see the light bulbs.

Shall I break them now?

A molestation saga can be a simple routine thereafter. Ah, my damned thoughts again.

The elevator vibrates a little. The lady smiles at me … says ‘looks like they’re working’.

No comments. This is stupidity at its worst. I should have never been in this mess. Guess she feels safe to be with me. I don’t understand the reason.

May be, women prefer to spend time with caring men!

The elevator shakes again, rather a big one. Unable to balance, the lady trips and falls on me. Well, almost. She should have felt sorry. But she’s normal. It’s me who feels uncomfortable.

Feminist world, I grumble. My day won’t be any better.

Hold on, now I’m scratching my head. Did it prove something? Or disprove? A man trapped is definitely a cause of despair. May be I was a bit unfair to this woman.

Ok, let me reconstruct this case, say, with an elder man this time. And let the elevator again get stuck on its way up.

The only person with me on the elevator is this old executive from the tenth floor. This gentleman may be in his late fifties, takes a deep breath every time he hops into the elevator. Yes, he literally jumps into it.

His chauffeur carries his briefcase using the service elevator. Typical babu he is.

There’s an ‘executive’ arrogance, as he looks at me. Silently still, he prefers me to call the ground staff through the phone. I meekly oblige. Senior pro, I feel, elderly person … he should get a preference. My gentle being gives up.

The next thing I hear is, ‘Remain calm … we’re coming up’. I feel good. The elderly gentleman looks around, may be looking at other options … to keep me busy.

‘You work in the eleventh floor?’, he asks.

Stupid question. The fact that I pressed the button marked eleven should have been enough. I think he wants a conversation. Clever fellow!

‘Yes, I do’, I firmly answer.

‘How long do they take to come?’, he queries again.

Now, was I angry? My choicest answer would be ‘well, I’ve never tried locking myself up to test their response time’. But politeness gets the better of me.

‘No idea, just stay calm … they should be here anytime’ was all I mumble.

He asks me to check with them again … as if the entire world reports to him as the executive. I follow again, succumbing to the aura of the executive maturity that he has.

Some three or so minutes pass by. I feel restless, but this gentleman is keen to keep me busy. He reminds me to call them again … and this time I refuse, asking him to stay calm.

There’s annoyance written on his face. As if in this stupid held-up, the only thing that bothers him is me not obeying his orders.

Peculiar humans, I must admit! But are they getting any better with gender or age?

Or do I resist being trapped? Let research prove it.

16 comments:

Oxymoron said...

a guy and a girl stuck in an elevator.....very corny
trapped with uncertainty and threats looming ahead can certainly bring out the true nature in a man but being trapped in an elevator with a "modern" lady wearing an enticingly low cut blouse is not the ideal place for a man to show his true colours.....
it's also interesting to notice how people assert their superiority by NOT solving the problem at hand.....

anyways i recently started blogging give it a visit sometime....
i write at http://theoxymoronworld.blogspot.com/

vicious said...

well the situations are quite real and your thoughts quite understandable n convincing ..but dunno how its realted to faking identity n all that ..
u said one CANNOT fake his identity when trapped but thats what u were actually doing given no1 cud ustd what was actually was going on your mind !!!

IdleMind said...

@ Oxymoron - wonderful to read your comment ... guess all uncertainty gets exposed when a man gets trapped.

And sure, will visit your space very soon.

@ vicious - that was the assumption to start with ... but I tried to play against it. Still, let research prove it. :D

Tongue Trip said...

do i grope her????? glad you decided against it and even chided yourself, i dont think you were even seriously considering that in the first place. ok, maybe you could have feigned the Psycho Lift Romeo crooning main kahin kavi na ban jaaoon tere pyar mein... remember?? that would have positively unnerved her. hey, you know what, i wonder how it would be if the executive and the dame got stuck in there..howd she handle or mishandle the guys penetratingly annoying anxiety. quite a SHITuation.
enjoyed from the first letter to the last. cheers! ta

Chhaya said...

Confined spaces! Elevators!! Egads! hey scare me!!

i feel the story needs to continue!

swapnanjali said...

ohh my GOD stuck inside elevator...
yes we cann't predict the behavior of the other person ...but enjoyed your experience inside elevator :)

IdleMind said...

@ Tongue Trip - Glad I didn't grope ... else this story would be S-O different. And the kavi thing? Never can I entice a lady with my poetic abilities ... that frightens me to death.

@ Chhaya - Does it? already it's too big. This one's between an axiom and a theorem. Tried to assume something to prove ... and ended up disproving it. How miserable!

@ swapnanjali - I was feeling trapped, and you enjoyed? ;) ... anyways, thanks dear for your kind words.

itsyvitsy said...

Conflict, eh?! But the gentleman is no different in the second situation. The plot has changed but his insecurities remain. He tries to be outrageous in the first, so does he in the second. What is interesting here are the two other people. The lady who feels devil-may-care and the executive who feels he is boss outside of his office as well. It's also the attitude of the support staff. They don't really care if you were stuck, but they really do care that the executive was stuck. Quite hypocritical, wouldn't you say? A very enjoyable post that has brought "issues" to light.

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - you're right, the conflict remains. But the underlying concept is to try and prove (or rather disprove) an assumption. Thanks for the appreciation!

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

First of all enjoyed the post :)

A very nice set up for the working on the assumption and i think if by identity you mean the character/actual behavior of a person, then yeah it goes very much in the favour of the statement you made.

When we are in a trapped state, Obviously we try our best to do what we can , rather that stay alert to act indifferent in the situation.

Thanks for putting light on the situation :)

Cheers
Mahesh

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Vittal recommended once to visit your blog and hence i am here to pay a visit.

Glad i did so :)

See you around :)

Cheers
Mahesh

IdleMind said...

@ Mahesh Sindbandge - thanks for your visit, and my share of gratitude to Vittal too. This writing is an experiment in making an assumption, and then happily denouncing it ... glad that ppl didn't get bored. :)

Do keep visiting!

Maya said...

i liked the characters in the first part, every one should be afraid of a modern women...

IdleMind said...

@ Uncommon Sense - hahaha ... but then such indifference baffles.

Nikki... said...

Predicting reactions is becoming difficult as people becomes masters of deception.. Like the girl for instance, her care a damn attitude may be a front to hide here insecurities, or the older executive commanding nature maybe hiding a deep rooted fear which we have no idea about, again just an assumption :)

As usual a lovely read :)

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki - well said, and I guess we are all trying to deceive others, isn't it?