Saturday, November 21, 2009

I want to sense Motion

No, I don’t wish to invite the wrath of scientists and technicians who work day in and out around sources of motion. But I must make the truthful confession.

Men have varied addictions. While some smoke, others drink. Another breed is faithful to their wives … and so on. Some men even dare to dash out with their dangling organs to the nearest available prostitute. There can be many more.

Some of them get cured as they resolve to come out of it. But I have this strange addiction – to be physically part of motion and sense it.

And I don’t wish to come out this one.

Decades back, while I was crossing the street, a bicycle came charging towards me. In a fit of fantasy, my ten-year old hand vaguely attempted to stop it … but failed. A bruise on top of the palm, few visits to doctor later, I was hooked to this.

When I see something in motion, I feel to sense it. That’s the charm, in short.

Strange, isn’t it? Yet whatever little I’ve tried to control keeps surfacing back. Few years after the bicycle incident, I was riding pillion on the rickshaw that took us to school. My eyes fell on its revolving wheels. Weeks after observing those wheels, I craved to touch it.

The day came and my left foot was inside while the rickshaw was in motion. I was rushed back home. A tensed mom got my toe stitched by the physician, tetanus injection administered … and warned me to be less of a nuisance for her.

More than the agony, I was completely satisfied!

Another day, I was in the mood to test gravity and the free fall. Getting on top of the school playground jhoola, I started to look downwards. The height could be around ten feet. My mind wanted to sense the gravity.

Instantly, I jumped to ground and fell straight on my face.

The entire central incisor (tooth) from the root came out and the upper lip got badly torn. I bled profusely till the time I was rushed to the doc. The handkerchief held to my mouth started dripping blood. Stitches again … but I remained cool.

Our school principal admired my patience … little did he know that this boy's inner peace was the sense of accomplishment. There was more to come.

During my graduation, one day I was sitting with my (the then) girlfriend on the stairs of my university building. It was early evening. Needless to say, she was an intelligent company, perhaps one of the most intelligent of ladies that I met in this life. The conversation, naturally, kept going … until I looked at my wrist watch.

It was eight thirty … almost an hour after the main gate to the building is closed!

She had to be rescued out. I rushed to the first floor corridor. It was a frantic attempt to get her out of the building to try and avoid a terrific ordeal of scores of scandalous remarks from our surroundings.

And then I decided. I would jump from the balcony, land on the road in front and then rush to the security folks. Pleading them will help, since they will believe me that (only) a lady is trapped inside and they’ll open the gates.

I touched her hands … and within seconds took the plunge. A few minutes later, she was out of the building to my relief. And then she wanted to look at my palms on whose support I landed on the road below. I opened them to her.

With a sudden reflex, she moved her face away from me … palms were all smeared with blood.

It’s hard to contain. Even today, my brains tickle me when the pedestal fan starts to revolve in top speed. Or when the train whizzes past me or the aircraft rushes to fly on the runway, I crave for the motion … and wish to feel it first hand.

For one last time, may be!

20 comments:

vicious said...

whooooo ...that sounds quite dangerous ... i hope u never implement your plans !!!

Tongue Trip said...

you made me shudder!! geez! i dont know what to call you, a daredevil, brash, pandering to your rash impulsesor plain stupid (dont take offence now but youve scared me shitless in this post). advice, dont try this last one you are itching to. PLEASE. next youd be wanting to rub your cheek against a train moving at death speed!
:) ta..be safe!

IdleMind said...

@ vicious - see, this is the problem with truth ... ppl get so jittery. Don't worry ... plans remain plans only ... don't they? :)

@ Tongue Trip - I may be a stupid ... but then motion's not. Don't get scared ... I am NOT suicidal, hehehe.

itsyvitsy said...

You made me lose my appetite! Your craving to "be" part of the motion or feel it often leads you to painful climaxes (or anti-climaxes)! Now, my friend, I really love your blog and your posts. For my sake, would you be a good "boy" and not scratch that final itch off?

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - No dear, this is not really a suicide note as many may think it to be. :) ... but then when was I a 'good boy'? ;)

Never mind, I feel relieved that the truth has finally come out ... after around three decades being within!

swapnanjali said...

Idle mind, so this is your reality ...nice to know about you and yes better to be active like you but i'm surprised how you could maintain the idle state...i'm sure,you can never be idle as you love to sense the motion...but take care :), sometime our mind just want immediate action and forget what is good for us and what is harmful for us....take care and don't go to Doctor for further stitches....my best wishes
With regards,
Swapna

IdleMind said...

@ swapnanjali - true ... and damn my mind! :D

vicious said...

it sounds like those hollywood movies ..where some weird gene gets dominant and brings in some supernatural power or something abnormal in a person :P

too much yaa...btw cud i make u understand what i am trying 2 say ?? :P

IdleMind said...

@ vicious - me trying to get that! ouch, that was a strong one or a severe backlash, may be. do u think it's genes? well, may be ... since I never consulted an expert since.

And for abnormal, I have much less to say. There are strains in ppl which are classified away from normal ... but your comment was an eye-opener, for sure.

Maya said...

u wont belive me i too have the same facination, not with gravity but with motions. intense feeling to touch moving things or rotating things.. but i never touched them, but i do feel like touching,

vicious said...

oops ... i cant make out anything what u r actually feeling about my comment there ..i hope i dint say 2 much ..i just felt that ..they have such kind of movies na ?

Anonymous said...

vrrrroooom... and u feel like feeling it... adventure touching a dangerous level...
you know i always have this desire to feel current... i got a few slight shocks here and there...hehheeh...

IdleMind said...

@ Uncommon Sense - haha, we're on the same boat, bro!

@ vicious - nothing serious yaar ... just that it touched the raw genes ... straight there!!

@ abanerji - there u go! feeling current and the feel of motion may be different, but they originate from the same state of mind, I guess. As others advised me, stay safe! :)

Oxymoron said...

i had very similar desires when i was a kid but their intensity has slowly faded with time.....according to me these desires that you have is the manifestation of your inner child.... your attempt to feel life in it's purest form...

IdleMind said...

@ Oxymoron - thanks, buddy! I see it as a compliment ... so nice of you that you admired it. Many are yet to get over the scary feeling!!

Chhaya said...

HAHAHAHHA :D

i have always had the urge to check the sharpness of every knife/blade etc i see! Sometimes i try too!

So we are not so different after all :P

Loved this!!

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - Bloody humans bond well! :)

Nikki... said...

I used to wonder if I was a freak for having such thoughts in my head :), but my problem is its not just motion, but every damn things thats perceived to be even slighty risky beckons me..

As a child I tried to touch the blade of a table fan and the grinder while it was in motion.. Though I escaped from the table fan with some sound beatings from my mom, i was not lucky with the grinder, ended up having my finger slashed :)

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki - this was terrible ... it feels so sweet to have friends who can relate to my experiences!

deja vu said...

i think it has something to do with machoism...to prove your manhood...to cheat death! everytime you do it,you get a sensation of elation...you do it again and again, inspite the risk of hurting seriously. but you always escape with minor injuries.the thrill is in these minor injuries;it remembers you of looming danger,but every time you escapes...and you've cheated death!

i and my friends have done it with high speed fans during our college days,in hostel rooms.stopping the fan when it is rotating in high speed with your bare hand...wow...truly macho!!!!!!!