Monday, December 28, 2009

A Messenger on the Sleigh

I lay still … eyes closed enjoying the morning chill. The new mattress on my queen-sized bed appears so cozy that I feel like never waking up. Soft effect of the foam, the plush sheet that covers it and the cute warmth of the comforter … all merges into the dawn of the thirty first.

From the window glasses, I could see smaller flakes … falling as they softly do, from the heavens. This is the dream of the white New Year’s Eve … as I draw the comforter close to my face.

Every winter, during the dawn of the thirty-first of December, I feel there’s a happy dream. A lovely hangover like it has never felt before.

Guess he comes in my dreams … riding his deer-sleigh!

Some romanticism is forever, and it doesn’t always require two to tango … the dream of the old man in red, riding the sleigh, remains visible. With a misty morning waiting me and a hot cup, bells from the reindeer’s neck remain jingling for long.

The mind just doesn’t get up. The body remains wrapped in the warmth of the comforter. And this idle mind keeps romancing the snow capped route with the sleigh!

Flakes fall softly on the window glass, turning into tiny globules of water and drips down. Nothing seems softer than this, not even the quietest fall of leaves. Tiny traces of white shine amidst the green of the small garden around my house.

My mood, there’s none to disturb. Wrapping the comforter around, I walk outside. Just to take that look. The small lane that leads to the neighbourhood winds away a lonelier soul. A chance look towards the letter box reveals it’s half open.

With carefully covered hands, I reach out for the depths of the letter box. A colourful envelope comes out.

In these days of electronic mail, the coloured envelope is a gift indeed. I open it, neatly tearing the border as I walk back inside.

Oh my! She has sent me a New Year’s wish. The warmth of the wrap and the delight of the lines that she has scribbled, my heart warms up. My lonely soul gets the spirit wrapped with those coloured images from the wishes.

Long time no see. Guess she looks at me like this every year. And the old man, the messenger, heeds her request … each year … every year.

Happy New Year … a happy new year indeed!

16 comments:

Maya said...

nice, brings out a lot of emotions

swapnanjali said...

beautifully expressed...your words always consists of reality ....it it increases the beauty of your writing more and more :)

IdleMind said...

@ Uncommon Sense @ swapnanjali - thanks buddies, these were infinitely inspirational comments!

vicious said...

a bit vague ..may be written 4 somebody in particular( i mite b wrong ) nevertheless has the 'idle' touch ..

best wishes 4 the coming year!!!

Chhaya said...

having read tons of benglai literature, in original and the translations, i have this intense feeling that this reminds me of them..

i found myself calming down reading this. saying nothing but saying a lot..

Beautiful, as always

New Year wishes, for u and the family.. in advance :)

IdleMind said...

@ vicious - nevertheless, let the particular reign supreme in here! :)

@ Chhaya - thank u ... a story is a story after all, this theme has been haunting me since years now. Glad that you liked. thanks!!

D.Dasgupta said...

I read you after a long, long time. And I felt at total peace with myself as I walked along with you. The letter box, the lane, the letter, the snow flakes and the total quietness. Wonderfully written.

Happy New Year Friend!

Deep-da

Chhaya said...

Happy New Year!!

IdleMind said...

@ D. Dasgupta - thanks Dipankar-da for helping me in the walk!

@ Chhaya - My best wishes ... enjoy the year ahead!!

Nikki... said...

Not enough words to convey my feelings.. The scene painted by your words brings a sense of peace and calm.. The fragrance of romance wafts through the air as we walk through the lane.. The letter in the letter box give rise to nostalgia...Simply Beautiful.....

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones :) :)

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki - thanks dear! and my best wishes for a Happy New Year to you and lovely people around you!!

Anonymous said...

it's a serene post.. i swayed with the thoughts.
Wish You A Very Happy New Year

Oxymoron said...

beautiful....the scene is very vividly described.....very emotional but at the same time quite subtle...

happy new year!!

IdleMind said...

@ abanerji and @ Oxymoron - thanks buddies, these are very inspirational for insane minds like me!

My best wishes to you for a wonderful 2010.

itsyvitsy said...

The tranquility outside your house resonated with the peace within yourself. You have brought out this contrast extremely beautifully. I lived this morning as your words painted the morning for me. A beautiful post to welcome the new year.

Wishing you and your dear ones a great year of 2010. May you inspire us all like always. :-)

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - the intent was to share peace ... the way we dream. A day like this happened way back, but seems to be happening every year ... the same way!