Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gossips sweet and sour

Winters are bit chillier these days… but many residents from my city are too cautious. The December chill makes them move in neck-high pullovers or warm mufflers wrapped around their much-hyped vocal areas. Or as a fashion statement, may be – the pink cardigan or the puffy sweater from areas like Kashmir or Ludhiana.

From bus stops to coffee shops, most prefer a huddled conversation. More likely is a man-woman combination, often engrossed in the choicest discussion to keep their minds and bodies warm.

Men and women are all covered.

During my stay in US, there was a colleague who had this ‘manly’ habit of drooling on pretty faces and petite female bodies. He was in the billing department. He said he loved ‘working with figures’. But, come winter, he went morose. He cribbed about bodies getting covered from head to toe … fur replacing skin, and woolens covering more of the ‘attractive areas’.

This rarely pleases a hot-bodied man!

Substitute that with a cozy talk, winter seems welcome. Sitting inside the Barista or a CCD, one can work wonders speculating about fellow humans. Personal, sensational and intimate details of lives fall easy prey to speculation and make for some spicy stuff to go with the cup.

No sweat, no exhaustion of summers. Guess gossip time is around the corner.

I am a bad gossipmonger, not because it’s ‘unfair’. I fail to cook stories about others, may be it is not my cup of tea. But, I love to hear tales. Juicy, frivolous and naughty ones that attempts to tear apart a guarded individual it is directed at.

Breaking free from the afternoon naps, I recall aunts and cousins rejoice in winter discussing spicier tit-bits about celebrities, modern (and progressive) relatives or about cases of free-minded neighbours. Most may be predictive, yet the pleasure of dissecting private lives and deriving an enchanting gratification in chatting could be worthy of a chilly afternoon.

Back seats of buses seem no different. Young and old, crossing all barriers would be blabbering mouthfuls of peppery details. The listener can be immediately identified. Their eyes wide open amidst the chill … and all ears to the story despite the cacophony of sound in a frenzied milieu of noisy activities.

One of the latest I overheard the other day was between two co-passengers sitting cozy inside the bus. The subject is a married guy at work who’s ‘handsome’. And there is a lady, the one who wants to make it big. This pair seems to be working late too often. The lady in the bus, covered head-to-waist with her shawl, confides to her male friend (with a muffler around his head) of something going between these two co-workers. She has heard people say that they leave work pretty late. Some are even pointing at a fling developing with all ingredients of an adulterous flow of passion.

I am all ears, but they don’t notice me eavesdropping on their conversation. With due respect to the actors from the conversation, I also find the couple in the bus cooking up a spicy chemistry in their curious tones.

We don’t always need champion golfers. There are enough tigers in our woods catching prey day in and out!

Misty forests of life, chilly days are definitely godsend for some among us.

16 comments:

Oxymoron said...

calcuttans are indeed over protective in winter with their mufflers and monkey caps they seem ready for a visit to the valleys of kashmir...and what can replace the juicy gossips of a lazy winter afternoon but i suffer from a similar problem...as much as i enjoy listening to them i rarely make any contribution in such sessions....but i am an active learner and i hope one winter afternoon i will come up with some of the juiciest stuff for everyone to revel in...

Unknown said...

yes the winter is the best season i hope ... all just looking colorful and best season for picnic and all ...all just lazy ... in my childhood i used to fight with my siblings for taking bathe late :), and usually in winter afternoon my mother used to knit sweater with her friends and gossip a lot ...who is doing what ...and all i heard was ohhh really she did like that ...chehere se to bholi bhali lagti hai...etc...
you've nicely expressed hope you got your cozy dream ....:)

IdleMind said...

@ Oxymoron - the more the merrier ... gossips thrive on the quality of volume! :)

@ swapna - that was fun ... and even today tabloids and media do the same thing. Guess they (media) learn late ... hehehe

Chhaya said...

first of all – LOL @ the winter of Kolkata :D
I mean, just 18 deg centigrade and I remember folks fishing out the monkey caps and what nots :D .. after the winter of Delhi and the trip to laddakh, cold does not bother me!
btw, I always prefer the summer nights to winter afternoons. The conversations tend to be more eclectic. or may be its just the memories of childhood. Nights spent on roofs, with cousins all around, chatting the night away.
ahhh, damn, nostalgia !

vicious said...

hehehe thats a common thing most bongs at kolkata love to do ...diwali over and out comes all woollens ..irrespective of what the temp is ..

winter and that hot steaming coffee in a cosy couch at barista ...mmmm...heaven ...

Anonymous said...

this proves that you are anidlemind... such a piece can come only by an idlemind... (please don't mind)

well, this time of the season is good but january is quite cold in lucknow and the fur jackets really do some good to us..

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - holy summers and cozy winters! but I meant to be a bit sarcastic too when I was referring to the wool-wear of Kolkata!! ;)

(And I've seen the North America's blizzard of 1996)

@ vicious - such is the spirit ... guess some of us are plain unlucky not to be there. :D

@ abanerji - me no mind ... only idle mind! howz that?

itsyvitsy said...

Allow me to recover after an incessant laughing spree...


OK, now I have recovered. That was freaking awesome! An accurate detail of how life of an ordinary person is. Always all-ears to listen to what's happening next door. On a serious note, I guess people have wised up (most have, believe me!). They have awakened and realized the rights of every person to keep private his/her "Intellectual Properties". But still, when I go back to my native I see old "housewives" and new "homemakers" still being as ordinary as it had been. Know what I mean?

Specifically, I liked the last bit about tigers in the woods! Only an ingenious mind like yours could make that up!

On a much lighter note, I was instantly reminded of Dolores Umbridge, the Defense against the Dark Arts teacher who makes her entry in Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter) who is seen to be wearing the pink cardigan! Now, that's a perfect association because that witch was a really nasty one!

Maya said...

We don’t always need champion golfers. There are enough tigers in our woods catching prey day in and out! <---- super

i like gossip too, but i m never a creator or promoter of the same, i just like listening..

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - loved your insight! agree that for some, these are definitely food for survival.

Pink cardigans are famous in Kolkata ... at least 'coz there are still a few 'dolls' left. :P

@ Uncommon Sense - listening to gossip is heavenly ... and in case the spice is strong, it tastes seductive!

On a lighter note, I could have expanded the reference to golfers to include 'balls' and 'holes'. But the catching prey was more of a generous courtesy extended to the tiger.

Nikki... said...

I too love listening to gossip though am not the one to start it. Guess like u, I an unable to cook up stories about people :)

I agree with "enough tigers in the woods" :) I think in winter the stripes become more prominent or they blend in the environment like white species ( does not take much of an effort for the experienced) :)

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki - :) ... actually, the winter makes the tiger cold ... so he needs some warmth. Hot bodied male, I must say!!

simply me said...

hi idleMind...well you truly have mastered the art of commenting on blogs and me as usual haven't yet learnt that art yet...thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog...it is always wonderful to read your comments and one thing i missed when i left ibibo...your comments are a blast of fresh air to my blog (i went by the name akruti s.r. in ibibo)

IdleMind said...

@ simply me - thank ya! this was a hearty compliment!!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
It was pleasure reading this. :)
I love to hear gossips too and who doesn't. :P

Hey few days ago...I heard this coversation b/w two woman in their late 40's. One of them was comlaining about her fights with her husband. They were talking so loud..that almost everyone was listening to them. And I was trying so very hard to control my laughter....hehe
it is so very fun to eavesdrop sometimes:)

IdleMind said...

@ Yemiledu - my deepest thanks for your visit!

And I agree 100% with you ... who doesn't like to eavesdrop? I mean, given a chance, even a saint would like to hear something spicy!! hehehe