Saturday, February 13, 2010

At Pune with the process of Settlement

The day I landed in Pune, I had a bad start. We found at the Kolkata airport that I had forgotten my suitcase keys at home. Never done that before, guess tensions were running high in me. A dash back home was inevitable, missing the flight ... and finally catching the next available flight. Such was the start of my urgent trip to me.

We boast ourselves of being techies, no wonder we move with the speed of bytes. Our plans and programs are next only to the Almighty's. Actions are not something we wait for ... we are on the rush to extremes ... always!!

In Kalyani Nagar, a chirpy evening was nearing as the sun was on the western horizon when I rang the door bell of the guest house where I was supposed to stay. The caretakers, Balwant and Heera, were there to greet me. In my short stay at Kalyani Nagar, of around two weeks, these two never ceased to make me feel at home.

Be the poha, the parathas they cooked for me in breakfast ... or the anxious wait for me when I suddenly decided to catch a late night show of the 3-D extravaganza 'Avatar' at Gold Adlabs. They never knew that an idle mind has finally made his way to Pune!

Nights are definitely late here, and it never feels midnight on the streets. As I slowly grow to be a 'Puneich Mulga', these are definite takeaways from this warm and vibrant city.

Now I operate from Magarpatta City, from one of the cyber city towers that make for Pune's skyline. Inside these towers, computers keep processing, earning a few million dollars every day and night. My teams are bigger, hopefully better ... as I keep myself busy with a learning process that one has to get into in a new geographical location with a promising team.

But a new working team has to put up with this man with an idle mind!!

People do settle down, but there's so less to settle for. This is the same country that is also lazy, takes time to even move a file from one desk to the other. There are corporate policies, and business processes that take a toll of a person's newfound zeal to settle for more ... be it in person or at work.

Pune is definitely India too ... as was Kolkata. To that effect, the spirit of India remains intact. Plans get postponed, things get delayed to make people slog in an endless wait. A chance talk with legendary InkTank happened, he asked me to give some time even to the process of school admission for kids.

We are used to this, be it Kolkata or Pune, and Indian processes are nightmares. Time is not yet translated to revenues, and that asking people to wait is the pride of one's job.

So this settlement process is going to take some extra time. I am an Indian, so I bear it. I may be waiting, but I'm also trying to make myself establish a tent as soon as possible.

If the caravan has moved, how long can the tent wait to be put up?

I dedicate this to the youth of India, who are a fascinating lot in this city. They are intelligent, and are eager to reach out for the pinnacle of their careers. Students and young working hands, they are the ones I will probably fall for ... until I get a growing company.

Possibly I will meet InkTank in one of those legendary restaurants, coffee shops or someplace else. Aundh, Kothrud, Baner, Kalyani Nagar or Magarpatta ... the place does not matter. The time and date is not decided, but the eagerness to meet is baffling.

With this, I conclude a mere status update, though you may not be necessarily feeling my absence yet.


I will write regularly as I promised a few years back ... since this is just the fourth year of the promise!

16 comments:

Anitha Rajesh said...

idle..got an areal view of this great city from ur post..i could percieve only an intrinsic view as I am a part of it... any way...a warm welcome to be a part of this gush...:):)

vicious said...

heyy ..i was jus wondering d oder day ..hows it going on 4 u ...good dat u r settling in slowly ...all d best 4 ur stay ...just dont 4get the friend's park !

chao!

Maya said...

nice to hear from u, and things do get settled with time...

Oxymoron said...

well....i was wondering when you would return to the blogging scene....i always admired your writing style....pune is an interesting city to be in....though a bit different from kolkata....but then again isnt this what India is all about...diversity....i am sure your stay in pune will be fulfilling...

itsyvitsy said...

Ah! Isn't it wonderful to read something here? Yes, it damn well is. :-) Even if it is a mere status update, in your own expression, it is a reality check for those who have forgotten they live in India (perhaps, it was for me too!).

Change is inevitable. Resistance to change is natural. Adjusting and adapting to change is slow. Moving on is certain. I see how life changes when you move on to a new location in search of greener pastures. I wish you success in your endeavours.

simply me said...

lovely update...enjoy your new adventure :)

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki... said...

Pun is definitely a beautiful city.. My trips over there has always been pleasant.. Am sure that a few months down the line the transformation to "Punekar" will be complete :)

BTW it completely skipped my mind that Inktank was in Pune.. Thanks for refreshing my memory.. Maybe on my next trip I can catch up with him :)

IdleMind said...

@ Everyone - Thank ya all!! it was so nice to read all your comments. I am just a few days away from emerging again ... in full swing! So watch out!!!

I am Alive said...

Hey IdleMind,
When I read your subject line, i was bit under a shock and was expecting a topic which is very obvious when these 3 words are wrote in one context... "Pune", "13th Feb 2010" & "Kalyani Nagar".
I am glad to see you are all settled in there... It definitely is a good place to be in.. but no place is safe now a days.. No matter how modern our defence system is, no matter how clever our intelligence is.. no matter how much we try to secure our lives... Life is still uncertain..
My comments might sound very aberrated.. but this is the topic going on in my head ever since i heard the news of Pune Blast..

Anonymous said...

i wonder how you manage so any things; shifting, trying to settle and also writing in the meanwhile.

but it's always a pleasure to read you.

Anonymous said...

Admin@incubation360,

Hey its nice to hear that you settled well.

Well, good luck ahead.

IdleMind said...

@ I am Alive - you are right, I was almost shocked as well ... but then deliberately wanted to keep that away from my writing.

@ abanerji - now that I have my home internet going, expect more writing! :D

@ Admin@incubation360 - thanks ... hope to start writing very soon ... and that too aggressively!

Chhaya said...

Pune-cha Mulga.. hehe Puneich nai :P

its a beautiful city... merciless summer though.. but winter starts knowcking from september.. chilly nights :D

i have to make enough rounds to the city (thanks to sis)... i m almost a Punechi Mulgi :P

btw, i m back to blogging :)

PS: u cud have had the keys FedExed to you. u wud just need to wait one day max!!

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - yeah, me becoming a marathi now ... almost. and I know u r a frequent visitor, but a sisterly visitor only! ;) btw, fedex wasn't an option since the suitcase needed to be opened the same day for some imp docs required at work on day one.

Good to know u r back ... will visit u soon!

Anonymous said...

idealmindji. kaise ho aap..

pune mereko to bahot interesting lagta hai.. alag hi atmosphere lagta hai wahan ka..

wahan ek word sikha tha bahot years ago.. kai pai che. bas itna hi aata hai... iska answer mila tha chapaati pai che..

hehe.......