Sunday, October 25, 2009

Some Friendly Calls

These are pressing times, and indeed, some times are pressing enough to make one feel pressed hard to work … and writing takes a step back. So are these times now as I make my way through important areas of life at work.

‘abey saala, where are you?’, inquired the friend on my phone … he was just about looking enraged as I remained lost for him for quite some time.

‘nothing yaar’, I remarked, ‘just tight with work … bus’ was my reply.

But his voice made me feel a bit of comfort, even if it started with some profanity. And markedly enough, such are the ways friendly guys often get to address each other. Boys seem to be so used to it that these have become powerful as friendly salutations.

During our times, we never dared to use obscenities in front of women … not even from the same class in school. But then, this ‘saala’ remained a great favourite among us. No wonder we tried to make some girls comfortable with this one word, no matter how difficult it was to do in our times!

Life has come full circle … and now girls seem to have allowed the entry of such words. Well, may be some of them. Friendly calls, well, few have been pretty obnoxious to even wonder about.

When we were kids, I remember distinctly a sure way to greet parents of our friends was a discreet ‘namaste uncle’ or a ‘namaste aunty’. Nothing more, and they would sure give us a tight hug, or a sweet kiss used to be planted on our docile cheeks.

Addressing elder humans, I must agree, have been easier. But not friends, as they grow pretty interesting at times.

Some time back, here was a guy, though known to me but writing to me for the first time. His was a business mail which started of rather, well, not the way we were used to reading the first mail.

‘hey, remember me?’, and I was quite taken aback!

Was he calling me from among a crowd? I wondered. My limited knowledge of the English language didn’t help either. I was disappointed, why would I even respond to such a mail?

I was probably wrong. Not knowing really that this salutation would soon become one of the more comfortable ones in the professional world. Though I felt a bit lost at first, gradually the ‘hey’ didn’t remain just a shout … it became a loud call … something I was asked to hear.

In the web world, when I was new, there was quite a bit of confusion when I first read someone comment on my writing as ‘dear, loved your writing …’.

‘Dear?’, I said to myself … ‘why would I be dear to her?’ But that was three years back.

This lady (a big girl now) remains a great friend of mine … and indeed she can be called dear today. She is a dear friend, and remains dear with whatever she stands for in life.

‘Dear friend’ is a salutation that we often use in writing, and so the word ‘dear’ now seems closer to me than it was before. Now I use ‘dear’ freely, without any sense of gender or any discrimination. A harmless address, the ‘dear’ seems a comfortable call for me.

At least, I can put to text some additional affection to my friends who richly deserve it.

I can’t end without this episode from my school life. Here was this very good-looking girl, Priya, who we naturally loved to play with. We were in Class three, and happily enjoying the first seeds of the flirted life!

Priya was a darling … and honestly, we were quite baffled with her baby beauty. Those plump cheeks, all pink … and the wonderful black hair neatly tied with ribbons. That day, I decided to call her and play hide and seek. Oh well, she initially agreed … and then in the midst of play, I dared to seek out those who were hidden.

Among the bushes in the far corner of the school ground was Priya, hidden among the greenery. When I went to seek her, she was caught absolutely unaware. With a sudden jerk, I screamed from behind on seeing her in the bushes. She was shocked … and within seconds, started to cry loudly. Out of fear, I supposed.

Honestly, a not-so-fair guy has never looked decent among the bushes!

She got really angry on that day. Poor me, for no fault of mine, she also started to dislike me afterwards. Those junior primary days, I thought love and hate were just four-letter words. But the wiser disagreed. This friend, a hunk by the name Bharat Bhushan, advised

‘Ulloo ke patthey, why do you always indulge with snob girls?’, he retorted, ‘they are not fit for you, you understand? … just remain with those who are good sport’.

The offensive word translates to ‘son of the owl’. Still on that occasion, when I was totally confused as to why Priya had started to hate me, even the ‘Ulloo ke Patthey’ gave a lot of encouragement!

To this day, I abide by those words of wisdom.

24 comments:

vicious said...

reminded me of my hostel days .. whenever we used to call sum1 (a gal usually) we never failed to put a gaali in front of her name ... even if i was in the 3rd floor and she in the ground floor , the prefix always used 2 b dere ..

the story of priya n u was cute .. :)

Tongue Trip said...

i have a fetish for the swear words, i would have used it freely but going by the societal rules a woman swearing is appalling. once again i like the pick of subject of your scrap and i hope you maintain the close connect of exchanging mild expletives with your buddies but then you cant help using it, you have the privilege of been born a male. hey btw i once had this chance of showering the choicest of cuss words on someone but it was not at all on friendly grounds. i almost killed that guy- an eve-teaser.
i feel better, thanks for wishing well. ta!

Maya said...

nice post,, very entertaining..

@tongue trip.. eve-teaser, i always liked the novelty of that word..

IdleMind said...

@ vici - Priya was cuter than the story! hehehe

As for swear words, I prefer to be mildly extreme ... but not always!

@ Tongue Trip - thanks for the honour! swear words and the gender have a unique relationship. But then, they remain the caustic words ... don't they? the eve-teaser would know well! :)

@ Uncommon Sense - knew at least you would appreciate the subject! :D

Love the word 'eve teaser' too, don't we all end up teasing the eve's generation at one point or the other?

Nikki... said...

The amount of swear words that I use everyday makes me wonder if I am a lady anymore :).. But then I am quite comfortable with it, and so are my friends.. Just like the swear words, terms of endearment are also common in my professional life.. The first time I heard "My Dear" from my boss, I was stunned, but now its kinda grown on me :)

I guess as centuries pass, ways of addresses both in professional and personal lives undergo a change..

I just wonder, how would a business letter start maybe 10 years down the line :)

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki ... - I was amused at your revelation! swear words everyday? now that's some day ... would like to really encounter such a day from a lady. But then, the 'dear' does sound a bit harsh initially ... more so, in case we are used to living with a world that swears!! :)

P.S: the business letter could well have nothing to start ... ideally!

itsyvitsy said...

This post reminded me of my own school days when use of profanity against my name was what I considered unacceptable. Anyone using the word bas**** or ras*** would be taken as a personal insult, and I would make sure they would say "sorry"; no matter even if I had to beg them to say the magic word.

Later on, during the college days the profanity turned out to be the most delightful way to greet a fellow classmate. Your words, these have become powerful as friendly salutations, are very apt to describe those days. Today I crave for someone to shout obscenities at me, but those days seem to have made themselves scarce. :-(

a not-so-fair guy has never looked decent among the bushes - Whoa! Where did this come from? :-D LOL! This is as good as it can get! This reminded me of my English lecturer of 12th year day who described a serene plot such as a Park to be a place where unwanted people did unwanted things, behind the bushes or below the trees!.

Oh my! This was one hell of a post! Simple, but conjured up a flashback for me to cherish. Cheers. :-)

P.S.: Please note the use of emotional icons. ;-)

Unknown said...

ku6 na kaho.... ku6 bhi na kaho.....
bina gaaliyon ke... kay kahena hai.
jab tak galiyan na sune hum, koi kaam nahi hona hai...

(i mean ye funda hota hai dost log ke beech, jab tak pyar se na bulao... i mean upar jo likhha hai us tarah pyar na barsao lagta nahi ki dosti pakki hai)

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - wow! you are seriously using the icons, I can't believe it!!

bushes are darker places, so an unfair skin may not be even traceable behind the bushes. I meant that only! I know what you're thinking, buddy!! ;)

@ CrAzYy..! - 'doston ka funda' is a grand word! pata nahin kyon, koyi dost gaali na de to woh dost kaise, hain na?

Anonymous said...

ohh..... hehe... ab to locha ho gaya.............. google ke konse account se login hun.. wo pahele dekhna padega... nahi to aap log confused ho jaoge.......



kii ye kabhi bhejja fry to kabhi crazyy ban kar....... kyu comment deta hai.. hehehe

IdleMind said...

@ BheJJa FrYY..! ;) - that's funny yaar ... pata nahin salaa yeh Google kab sudhrega!

Anonymous said...

GOOGLE TO BECHARA AAGYAKARI (NAKAL ME NO AKKAL) HAI....
USKA KOI DOSH NAHI JI.....

Anonymous said...

i got used to such prefixes only in college.. before that, stupid me, either overlooked such things or missed them totally...

anyway... (pehle kaan paker ke bolti hoon), you found a sweet girl in every phase of your life.. haaan...??? kabhi priya toh kabhi koi aur... hehhehehe

IdleMind said...

@ CrAzYy..! ;) - yaar, I just hope Google can correct you even if you are wrong! itna akkal to usme hona chahiye thaa ... hehehe

@ abanerji - good that u got used to. You saved me, else I was feeling like getting a tight scolding from you! hehehe

Sweet girls? arre wah, you are so right! Priya ke baad jo bhi miley sab sweet hi sweet! Glad that there wasn't a sweety in my life ever ... hohoho

I am Alive said...

Hey,
Which is that other blog into blog ?
I am curious to read that one

Chhaya said...

Loved this . _dear_ heheheh..

i have always found profanities very irritating. perhaps its because for me its a symbol that only proves the lack of a good vocabulary. and call me old fashioned, but i don't like guys using F words in front of girls. but yeah, these days almost every other girl loves to use some colorful words of her own :)

i m getting old :D

Poornima said...

Good one...i swear atleast once in every 10 sentences i speak(Unconscious effort) but i m better than my frens who do that for each sentence.LOL.
i would hate to relate gender to swearing.whats that got to do with it at all???

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - you got that dear, loud and clear!

Some of us could never get used to modern times ... but then, sometimes a sentence means much more than the attached profanity.

@ Poornima - thanks for dropping by! and u seem too fair to relate this to gender ... enjoyed the fairness!!

Tongue Trip said...

i tweaked V Prabhu's ear and im going to yours too!!

IdleMind said...

@ Tongue Trip - 'Kaan mola' as they say in our language ... and that too from a lovely eve, I pray for it!! ;)

Anonymous said...

myidleideas.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading myidleideas.blogspot.com every day.

IdleMind said...

@ Anonymous - that was so sweet of you! never knew my writings had a secret admirer!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

IdleMind said...

wow, my writing for your school project? looks like the schools are getting idler! hehehe