Monday, October 12, 2009

Emotional Icons

He was brooding … and all through the chat session with me, he kept complaining that he didn’t feel like writing again. The symbol :( was all over … and I could sense that he had developed a feeling against writing.

I wrote – ‘we can’t live if we don’t express, can we?’

He seemed to agree. On the same note, I wrote again – ‘to write is to live this virtual life, isn’t it?’

This time he smiled … and soon this happier icon emerged on the chat window – :)

A smiley needs no introduction. Nor does the sigh … emoticons are friendlier these days. When these were introduced to me a few years back, I had initially frowned. Not knowing whether a person can really show such emotions virtually.

To this date, I have smiled, frowned, sighed virtually … and every time I do that (at times they are reciprocated by another virtual person), I feel extremely curious.

Did the person actually do ‘that’ while she (or he) was typing those words for me?

Pure selfish thoughts, but I feel for that moment when a person punctuates words with that exemplary symbol of emoticon attached. Feels like a thousand words in addition to the text.

Emotions on Net aren’t rare … but when they come in the form of symbolic icons, I feel a change from the way I interpret the accompanied text.

Am I becoming a too addictive to cyber emotions? May be, I always was.

During an interesting chat, I prefer to tease with fewer words but leave a wink … the wink that has grown into a cult symbol now among friendly circles. They are so like the real life, where a ‘strategic’ wink adds more value to the prank … and delivers a sporting feeling within the conversation.

Interestingly enough, I like those who have made ‘wink’ a form of art while they text. Not sure whether some are shy in using that, though in India there were societies that once discouraged a wink, at least the physical one!

Do they still do so? I would never know.

An exception is when someone gets angry, there is a considerable lesser use of emoticons. I don’t fully understand that, but could be because there are fewer icons to represent the facial expressions of anger.

Frustrations can be vented, yet the use of emoticons could have made it even more meaningful. Just as there are no emoticons to show mental sadness … and for those darker times of gloom. Why would that be?

Years ago, a friend was devastated that the guy who she had loved had to leave her life. We had a conversation that lasted an hour … and she sounded completely distraught. A poet that she was, her words were deep and meaningful. At times she did stop for a moment to ponder on her life.

There was a need for emoticons … at least for the silent flow of tears that I could feel coming from her words. I felt as if she needed something more to express.

Alas, she could not. There were no emotional icons to deliver the punch in her sadness.
Her heart was heavy, the mood sullen … yet such emotions were limited to using only words. Nothing more added to the meaning.

Looking back, I like to ask – are emoticons only for comfortable times?

This may not be true always … but emotions are well expressed when they are dark and deep. Also when they hurt the most, and in case they hurt our own self.

The question is – whether someone would like to use icons even during sad times. I am consciously open to a debate, though there isn’t much to suggest why they won’t. If they could give a big grin or stick their tongues out in jest, why would they not silently post a symbol in case they fall short of words … when they just feel too heavy inside to write something meaningful to convey?

To this date, I feel for the lady on that day. She remained unexplored on emotions!

Ending on a happier note, I must mention this young friend of mine. She is an angel, a person who had a not-so-happy past as a child … but has definitely expressed her emotions to me at times to free her soul. Needless to write, I have tried my best to give my full support. The other day she was so happy after I wrote her a mail encouraging her to never look back at her life.

In that happiest moment after reading my mail, she felt ecstatic. And in response, she wrote only two lines. She wrote,

“thanx a ton ….

Muuuuaaaaaahhhhhhs … and loads of ‘em for ya”

Virtual kisses! Don’t they give the feel of the same moistness as they do in real life?

17 comments:

Chhaya said...

I have been _online_ for almost 8-9 years now. i have met some really nice friend. one i had met online during the first few months (yes, i was a kid back then :) ).. he is like a bro to me... we have met 3 times. in three different cities (he is german, and i think u do know about him.. remember Alex?)

but last few years, i have been maintaining my distance. i never met any of my online friends after Alex. perhaps we get cynical when we grow up.

about emoticons.. they always say a lot .. and yes, there arent enough to convey the emotions of anger or sadness..


what i find most frustation about chat-lingo... there is NO way you can express _Silence_...

Silence, for me, is the most eloquent of all words...

PS: virtual kisses? lots of em? Ki hochchhe? hain?

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - I remember Alex, and the inspiration you got from him for your written works.

You have a right to your life ... and the distance that you rightly draw. No need to be overtly cynical here.

Silence is a wonderful emotion ... to be part of it is eternal. And sadly, we miss that too.

Virtual kisses came so easily from her ... but then she's so young. It never felt so sweet before to be pampered by a young angel. But then, when was I a decent old man? ;)

Chhaya said...

aami budho hoye gechhi :(

Maya said...

This was an extremely interesting topic, but i wud be highly incompetent to hold a discussion on this.. because i have never used those emotions in chat or writing.. might have done the :) thing when i didnt have anything to say... other than that never...

i dont understand most of the emotions,,, i often find the comment with "D" and dots,, i never understood wht it meant, neither did i tried to find out... my mind has never tried to interpret those emotions..i just ignore them most of the time

the post as a whole, was great,, good introspection..

IdleMind said...

@ Chhaya - you're fine ... your natural life is fantastic, so live upto that!

If you're 'buro', I'm already posthumous! :)

@ Uncommon Sense - :D could be a big grin ... a 'toothy smile'. Emotions are a different topic altogether, they are mostly economy in expressions. You may not need symbols anytime ... but fine if you're ok without them.

vicious said...

i should put it this way ..i am a slave of emote icons ..so much so i have started using it in my write ups as well(which is a bad habit )..
its as if the smiles save me from smiling 4 real or saying something ornamental to please that person ..

i am happy emote icons exist !!
:) :D
;) :P

Anonymous said...

nice one... !!

well, i never use any icon without any reason... when it comes to using a wink... i wish to use it many a times but i never did it...heehehe
though close to our heart, this virtual world is tricky... we cannot see eachothers' facial expressions while talking, which gives way to many misunderstandings too... so its better to express by words rather than symbols...

as chhaya says, i feel there should be something that symbolises silence... (but not a finger on your lips type...mai chup rahoongi...) hehhee...
during a virtual chat it becomes very difficult to express silence... those who chat with me know that i really stop typing when i need to express my silence... hehhehe... they have to bring me back by their 'helllossss'...

IdleMind said...

@ vici - glad that u love these emoticons ... but then saving the real smile for the virtual smile, well, made me smile (in real) too.

@ abanerji - good reasoning, so next time around I see a smiley from u, I will know that u r really smiling!

itsyvitsy said...

I like this thoughtful exploration of the use of emoticons in regular chat expressions. Have I spoken too early? These days even e-mail providers allow emoticons to be part of e-mails.

I was pondering on my own use of emoticons. When I feel all right, even sadness (though not really felt) is expressed as ":(" or grief as ":'(. But when I am really feeling out of sorts, what do I do? Let me think... Ah yes! I only write short sentences. Sentences that are very straightforward, with no attempt to intend any pun. No emoticons. Plain emotions. Reasoning this way, I feel emoticons are used extensively when the person feels "all right". But that's me and my experiments with emoticons.

Something else has struck my mind as I write this comment. Many times I wait for an emoticon from the other end just to assure myself that whatever (inadvertently) I might have said hasn't been taken in the wrong sense! I think one can write a full blown thesis on the use of emoticons and expressing thoroughly via emoticons.

I did not like this post. ;) wink... wink... <-- Now that's not nice, is it? Just kidding. :)

P.S.: Thanks for your wonderful thoughts on my latest article. Such words of appreciation coming from a prolific writer like yourself will keep me motivated for a very long time.

IdleMind said...

@ Vittaldas Prabhu - I guess emoticons are for comfortable times as you rightly feel. But then, the subject for this post was more like a filler ... more to have views of readers rather than putting forth something rather devilish.

I will continue to dabble with my dilemma soon. And it's my pleasure to appreciate good writing, since your posts have fascinated me a lot.

Diwakar Sinha said...

lots of things i can relate to...
lots of things that I am yet to relate to...
lots of things, really.
guess I am new..and hopeful. :)

IdleMind said...

@ Diwakar Sinha - thanks for dropping by, and my sincerest gratitude for the verses ... I needed them!

Nikki... said...

Hi Idle, once again a beautiful portrayal of thoughts.

Smileys convey a lot of emotions. I use smileys practically everyday, that i feel a sentence is incomplete without it. And I do mean it:)

Though the emotions conveyed are myraid, like everyone around, I too wish there was smileys to express anger, silence and other darker emotions. I would definitely love to express my sadness, frustrations and anger through these emoticons, coz i feel they convey a lot.

IdleMind said...

@ Nikki - communicating is the key here ... and unless the readers are unable to understand your mood, a conversation can't be meaningful. Thanks for your dropping by ... do keep exchanging!

Anonymous said...

have not read the whole post
ku6 khass padha nahi hai.

lekin ek news to pata hi hogi aap ko....
ibibo me blogs saaf ho gaye hahaha

weekend dhamaallllllll
_____________________________________
Employee- Boss Aap Shadi-Shuda
Logo Ko Hi Naukri Kyu Dete Ho?


Boss-Kyu Ke Unhe Pehle Se Hi


Galiya Khane Ki Aadat Hoti Hai
____________________________________

Snta Road Pr Cigrate Pita Hua Bhag Raha Tha
Bnta-Kya Kar Rahe Ho?
Snta-Mai Dekh Raha Hu Ki Ek Cigerate Kitne
Kilometre Chalta Hai
_____________________________________

Dipu-Tuje Tere Papa Talor Hai Or
Teri Shrt Fati He
Papu-Shrm Ki Bat To Ye He Ki
Tere Papa Dentst He Or Tera Bhai Bina DANT Ke Paida Hua
______________________________________

Hr khushi hasi Mange Apse
Hr phol khushbu mange Apse
Itni Roshani ho Apki jindagi me

K





"khud bijali wale connection Mange Apse
___________________________________

I am Alive said...

Good post..
Well, i don't want to see any emoticons for Sad expressions...
The best way to express Pain/Anger/Loss is "Silence"
N yeah.. the virtual kisses are almost equivalent to the real ones :)

IdleMind said...

@ BheJJa FrYY..! ;) - maan gaye ustaad! you are special ... and your humour is effortless ... hehehe

@ I am Alive - 'Silence' is needed ... at least to denote its presence. Loved your preference for virtual kisses ... but then, wish you get lucky like me! ;)