Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lemme live the way I want

Welcome to this world! This is the era where we all are running behind the sole purpose of selling ourselves. To live is to sell, to love is to sell … and to die is to sell our being. Selling is everywhere, a ‘USP’ is what we strive to live for.

Selling for money, selling for glory.

A renowned percussionist was talking on a television channel last week. He is a classical musician, but has recently turned into a band activist. He was stressing about singing loud on the stage, making animated gestures to the best possible extent … the intent was to make every pair of eyes in the audience notice you, and only you.

You need to sell yourself, artist! … just that only art never sells.

To sell your own self is to make you always aware of – you only. Just think about yourself, and yourself only. Very recently, a lady came for an interview in our office. While I asked if she was comfortable to stretch beyond normal hours occasionally, pat came her reply – ‘Though I have a 2 months-old kid, but my work is the most important. I can stay back any day as you want’.

Reason – self growth, even if that means demeaning a child that has just been brought to this world. I am getting used to such colleagues.

Man has his goals defined, and he is running after it. Women have their aspirations, and they are pursuing it. After a relentless struggle the entire day, there is not much left to pursue. Interesting still, a newly-wed couple in the neighbourhood has the guy leave at five in the evening, and the wife leaves for work at nine in the morning. Both meet after midnight, when the guy returns home and just hops into the bed.

Marital bliss? I suppose it doesn’t matter, since no notes are exchanged for the entire week! The weekend is for rest, so no possessive demands are recorded.

We just possess ourselves, and the rest is all Maya!!

There is no society, no parents, no siblings … no love and nothing else. The entire world is made of just one individual – ME. I just think about my way of living in this world … my visions and my achievements.

At this point of Mother Earth’s heavenly rotation, we have started to think independently. We think about academic courses, based on the passion that we share. The idea is to get into MY dream job.

Parents and elders are mostly eye-witnesses when the citizen of ‘Youngistan’ is making a choice.

An exception to this is being a primitive citizen.

Setting priorities and accomplishing them is a not a group activity anymore. ‘I know what my priorities are, you take care of yours’ is the normal hype. The funnier part is none bothers to get involved in the decision making faculties of their peers or relatives. ‘To each, their own’ is the mantra.

Newer definitions of life has started. Parents are defined as those individuals who are sponsors of ‘my’ education until ‘I’ find some work. Friends are those who share a common business / academic interest with ‘me’.

The spouse and I live together, she is independent of her and so am I. She is free to live her life, so am I. We don’t demand, neither possess nor share. There are no disclaimers, no strings attached to life’s togetherness.

I have started watching this life with interest. There are so many singleton sets, each filled with just one individual. Their Union is unknown, the Intersection undefined.

Sorry for blabbering mathematics, such are the ways of this world that I fall short in English.

P.S: The heading of this blog is a weak translation of a Bangla film song that is getting popular these days as the ‘song of life’.

14 comments:

vicious said...

somehow in between i got confused of wht point u r actually making ..my bad ... i guess too many things crowding you mind ...n it all came out together n so what i did hear ws just a buzz...

hopefully nijeke nijer moto guchhiye nebe :)

IdleMind said...

@ vici - I know this one was written with old-timers in mind ... may be didn't go well with you though. Anyways, will try better next time.

Unknown said...

this issue is bothering me for quite a long time to the core. am not sure am i the victim of this syndrome or the devil actually..... but,this is a life sucking social change of me which almost strangles "the love of life".... lots and lots of thought overflowing....so i rather change the topic...:)

Unknown said...

ur writing is different this time... a change , no i do get the IM flavour ,always true to the self... but there is something changed within which may be irreversible... raajhaaser sei asthirota ki IM ja sudhui joler niche thake r upore biraj kore prosanti? a never compromising life force reaching its zenith.... so proud to read u ... lombaaaa mail aasbe kintu abaar... or may be a reactive blog!!!

IdleMind said...

@ zahaan - I see your point! this world is getting too restless in pursuing a 'self'-ish idea. I do not necessarily see that as a vice, but that is a concern for me definitely.

Glad that you brought the topic! tarko cholbe :)

santosh said...

Suddenly the onus is now on what you have than on what you are. The house that you live and the automobile you drive defines your stature!! To acquire is the key and not to achieve!! Selling oneself becomes vital be it in the office or on public platforms.The artiste grows above the art for more adulation and hence greater renumeration.
Well said idle but you sound depressing of late. Is it the Pune environs or your closeness to Mumbai??

IdleMind said...

@ santosh: You may be right. The urge to write positively is yet to set in. Don't want to blame the environment, but the surroundings do not look very encouraging yet.

Will try to write a positive post sometime soon. :)

Maya said...

I dont need to tell you how much i liked this.. full negativity i liked it..
I am afraid of the world that its becoming.. People have forgotten the purpose of life..

IdleMind said...

@ Uncommon Sense: thank you! Sometimes full negativity inspires me as well.

Unknown said...

came to say hi to one person i admire and ailaaa!!!! i have two more reason to smile. my fev food and fev animal . even it aches in my heart to say monkey an animal... :)

Unknown said...

just asking. why felt like choosing this click IM? just curious..

IdleMind said...

@ zahaan: This is ideally the impression of curiosity ... that keeps me going. Even if we are on the edge always. :P

I am Alive said...

well your mathematical example was superb ! Coming from the engineering background, that example made lot of sense to me.. wow, i never thought that feelings can be expresses in Math as well... English is not the only written language !
Coming to you post, Well i feel you have very skill fully post mortemed today's long prevailing problem which seems to be at root cause of most of the traumas. We all are living for ourselves.. but off late, i have made some deliberate changes into my life style.. It is difficult.. but I am still trying ...

IdleMind said...

@ I am Alive: deliberate changes in lifestyle? hmmm ... sounds interesting.