Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Eclipse

There isn’t a better fun than observing celestial happenings right in front of our eyes.

I have been a person who has the least idea about astronomy (or astrology). But my appetite for watching celestial dispositions is enormous. Many nights I looked upwards watching constellations, meteor showers … and comets.

It all started with a visit to planetarium as a schoolboy, as a huge kingdom lay unveiled before my eyes. By the time I completed watching the Hale Bopp comet from my living room window, in US, it had quietly developed into a passion. And then, my eyes tried to identify an unidentified object in the night sky (turned out to be the glowing Mars) around two years back and now the solar eclipse, it has been a fabulous journey.

A full eclipse, which made the early morning of the twenty second day of July this year, was definitely exciting. Not that I ‘revel’ in the sun being covered (or eaten up) by the shadow of the moon, the entire phenomenon of a smaller sphere entirely covering up the bigger one baffles me.

This couldn’t have been any more interesting.

From the time of the Rig Veda and the imaginary Rahu eating up the goblet of fire, this astronomical fact has ‘demoralized’ more than surprising humans. The Chinese Shang dynasty also assumed a huge monster, devouring the sun.

Greeks, I feel, were less spontaneous in acknowledging it as an omen. Zeus, the father of Olympics, is ‘credited’ to have hidden the sun in mid-day and making night.

Another story speaks of the war of Peloponessiam where Agathodes and his men experienced the eclipse as they escaped from their defeat. What a way to run away from the battlefield than to merge in the darkness due to sun’s hiding! Thy name is human … else how can he use the eclipse as a camouflage!!

Egyptian pharaohs circled around the temple, thinking this act of theirs will maintain the balance of the earth. I presume, as representatives of the Sun God, they had some responsibility towards the planet they inhabited.

Honestly speaking, I am yet to understand this enormous puzzle – how does the shadow of moon, much smaller, be exactly the same size to engulf the entire view of the sun?

Coincidental, they say … but then, quite mind-boggling for me. This may be due to my poor grasp of the planetary actions. Though I am quite aware about eclipses where moon’s shadow appears smaller, referred to as annular eclipses in astronomy.

Mankind be blessed, yet this act of hide-and-seek indeed glorifies the dichotomy of the darker and the brighter aspects of life.

Getting up in the morning, on the day of the eclipse, I felt the urge to stand around the narrow corridor along the moon’s penumbra that goes through the middle of Southeast Asia. Simply put, this means my roof in the city of Kolkata!

What does the eclipse tell me? Why is it that I consider the eclipse with such hype?

This may have to be with a feeling of a superpower appearing vulnerable. Seems that the monarch of the solar system seem a shade faded out because of an ‘apparent annihilation’. Or is it that we seem to be intrigued by the idea of a superior power succumbing to the might of a much inferior satellite of a mediocre planet?

Like, may be, the great Brutus rendered a bit weak by Caesar’s less-known detractors in Shakespeares’ play. A weakness that may have snatched the heroic life of Caesar!

At the centre of a democratic co-existence, the moon gets to raise its head and show its prominence in shadowing the mighty sun. Smaller citizens, I feel, should get a fair chance of proving their class once in a while in front of masters …

What do you say? Does that really make any sense?

From Vadodara, and Varanasi to Surat and Siliguri, this eclipse gave a fascinating view. To even imagine the next one is around a hundred years away suddenly gives one jitters, about the incredible fallibility of life.

And when it was all over, it was a routine day. Kids got ready for school, while their parents rushed to their breakfast table in preparation for their day of hard work.

The sun, undeterred at the humanly confusion, seemed to shine bright as ever. It was, as if there was nothing called ‘an eclipse’.


* Photos are clicked by me! Click photograph for bigger view.


14 comments:

Maya said...

i was in bed when it happend and moreover it was all cloudy i dont think it would have been visible in vadodara

Anonymous said...

HMMMMM

YE ECLIPSE..
aaya aur chala bhi gaya..

pata nahi log kya kya maante hai is GRAHAN ke baare me..

i would like to say only 1 thing..
tension nahi lene ka "MONACO" khane ka..
aur eclipse dekhna ho to dekhne ka .. lekin chashma lagake.. bole to gogles..

Chhaya said...

the sad part - the moon getting farther away from us hence no more full solar eclipse after a few centuries... the good part - i wont be around to mourn!!

the funny part - its so awesome to travel in empty trains just bcz folks stayed home fearing the mighty Rahu (or is it Ketu? or both?)!!!!

god bless 'em!

PS: I LOVEEEEE the nfew template!

vicious said...

nice post ..

n excellent pics :)


which cam ???

Shyme said...

Good to see you here. Ak samay ami-o likhtaam ekhaane. But nobody cares to read........Nice bloand nice photographs!

IdleMind said...

@ Uncommon Sense - well, the cloud did play spoilsport, but it acted as a brilliant filter for Kolkatans. We never needed special goggles.

@ CrAzYy..!;) - hahaha, but as I said above, we never needed goggles! :)

@ Chhaya - nice to hear the 'other' side of the eclipse. thank you for the insight into empty trains as well!

@ vicious - the cam is Panasonic FZ18

@ Shyme - didi, thank you ... thank you for dropping here. Why don't you join us again ... here? we'll be lucky to read you

Anonymous said...

Hi!

the second pix indeed looks weird (i mean eclipse-like..LOL) hanging upside down.

great blog....looked around(as promised) you guys are way ahead *sigh*

i guess u guessed the face behind this...

IdleMind said...

@ Anonymous - I still get jittery seeing anonymous faces ... but I expect many faces to come and read.

So, I presume you are one out of those faces at least! thanks for the visit anyways.

Zero said...

Thank you for the informative post and sharing wonderful snaps. Best regards.

D.Dasgupta said...

Deep and wonderful. I enjoyed reading the many strands of your thought. I am also trying to recall the incident in the Mahabharata. Wasn't there one?

This year's solar eclipse took me back several years to the last one that we witnessed in Kolkata. My son was a young school boy and I, a doting father, made every possible arrangement to ensure that he got to see the event. The Kolkata Doordarshan was particularly helpful.

He is now an adult, a totally different person. He will never be the innocent child he was then. Nevertheless, for a brief minute, I found back the child who will never be a child again.

I also had this strange feeling that my time is over and that I should give up.

Give up everything I loved on earth. It's time to leave. Using your analogy, the small one's part has been played. No point waiting anymore.

DD

Ruhani Yatri said...

Hi idle. Even I used to watch the eclipses when I was younger. However, this time the clouds played spoilsport.Your pics are gr8.

Some say that it is God's way of teaching the Sun a lesson as his 'Aham' or ego had increased.

Did you know that when Christopher Columbus landed in Jamica 4 d 1st time, the natives there were very hostile. Luckily Columbus had an Almanac with him & new that a total lunar eclipse was going to occur soon. He threatened the natives that if they didn't cooperate and supply food to him & his sailors, their God will get angry and eat away the moon. On the ecplise day, to their horror, they saw a part of moon missing and then it slowly vanished.So they agreed to everything Columbus demanded and he made their moon God appear after some time!!

I am no longer active here. Zero guided me to his blog & then I saw yours. Will surely visit from time to time.

Rashmi

IdleMind said...

@ Zero - thanks for your visit.

@ D.Dasgupta - You caught my mood perfectly there. I wasn't in India during the last one in 1995. I still remember the one from 1980, there was a lot of excitement then.

We may be continuing the small part that we are supposed to play. There's no point waiting, but remain prepared. However, going by your stamina and energy, you have miles to go ...

@ Purple Fairy - thanks Rashmiji, it was a surprise for me! and to read your anecdotes gave me the spirit of revisiting 'grahan' the way we see it.

The 'aham' equation is what I wished to elaborate, and you summed it up so gracefully. Do keep visiting.

Tongue Trip said...

you have a great voice and your pick of songs are beautiful and so are your writings but then i guess i'm telling you things you already know. belated b day to you as well, oh! and thanks for the cake too. cheers

Chhaya said...

New post wanted :-|