Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Impatient Soul – Part I

She may have come through the window, as curtains fluttered in the south westerly monsoon winds. Her entrance was dramatic, most certainly unexpected for Vishal to comprehend.



Down from her destination up above … straight into his bedroom, the spirit of Tara knew no bounds. Already this was the third night after she left, and she was feeling restless.



Why shouldn’t she? Does love die like humans do?



She seemed possessed last Wednesday evening. Vishal had requested her not to leave her office in haste. After all, she had this habit of being possessed by her mind at times. These were tough times, as none could alert her and her actions defied everything.



But it was his birthday, and she had just sent another e-card to his mailbox. Nothing extraordinary, she had this habit of sending him e-cards every hour on this day … to be followed by that paper card and the gift … and a grand dine out.



This time, she wanted a change. She planned the dinner at his apartment. For the first time, she wanted to cook the dinner and have it with him. She wanted the quiet candlelight dinner … away from the restaurant crowd … just with him.



‘No, I want to come … why do you stop me?’ she had asked



‘Dear, why create tension? I will come and pick you up after work, can’t you wait?’ he had argued



‘I’m no kid alright … and I need to cook tonight … right in your kitchen’ she continued



‘That’s fine … but why do you rush?’ Vishal questioned



‘I don’t rush Vishal … I just need you tonight … I need only you … and I have to start now’ she whispered on the phone and hung up. She had made up her mind.



Such times Vishal felt so helpless. She had grown to possess her love like she never possessed before. And that proved fatal.



That was Wednesday … as her lively body so full of earthly love came under the heavy wheels of the charging bus. She was in a rush … crossing the road during peak hours, almost being unmindful of the traffic. Her living soul breathed last … only to be set free as the non-living … high above this earthly atmosphere.



But she did come back … didn’t she?



As though she kept her promise, she smiled looking from behind her veiled face. The silk curtains from Vishal’s bedroom window had been fluttering amidst the monsoon breeze for the last three days. He had refused to shut them … he had got himself into an ethereal monotony.



Tara was his soul … he was her life. It was for her that he left his family to settle among the crowded Delhi life. And today she’s no more.



Is she?



Her spirit smiled looking at Vishal’s tired body that lay on the couch … his unfinished glass of whisky left uncovered on the table.



Is he drinking? Lost love … Devdas … she laughed loud. The sound reverberated … Vishal quietly opened his eyes only to see the dark cascading cloud hover around the window. He didn’t see her … but she did.



Somewhere among the many memories of Tara, there were moments of touch. He felt for Tara’s body odour … so was her sense of feeling for his lips. Vishal closed his eyes again.



She circled around him … once, twice and so on. They say seven such circles complete the quest for the life partner. But she didn’t want that tonight.



Why would she leave him married now? Why would she do it when he couldn’t even sense her?



Another circle and she flew around ... in a jest that was so like Tara, the unbridled soul.





To be continued …

14 comments:

vicious said...

wowww...can feel the intense love that both had for each other ... will wait for the next part ...

Zero said...

Interesting thoughts. Is it really possible? Waiting for next part. Best regards.

Anonymous said...

aisa laga hi nahi ki padh raha hun..







feel kar raha hun..

IdleMind said...

@ vicious - thanks for ur feeling, do visit once the second part is uploaded

@ Zero - possible? well, why not? :D

@ CrAzYy..! ;) - shukriya dost, not many can appreciate a story that way. Glad that you could do it!

Sonia said...

aww.. you killed her at the very begining and then brought her to life, gradually. Waiting to see see where she ends up.

Chhaya said...

This reminds me of my all time favorite love story, "The Wuthering Heights".. i remember Heathcliff cursing Cathy (i devoted a whole poem to it, titled - "The Darklings") to haunt him forever after she died bcz he cudnt bear to live without her.

love makes us do crazy things, but all those crazy things make perfect sense when we are in love.

i m waiting for the next part :)

Anonymous said...

ji me to padh hi raha tha..

lekin aapne likhne ka ku6 aisa andaaz hai.. ki padhte padhte story me hi kho gaya me ! :)

Maya said...

beautifully written,, but not something to be read in the morning as i did,,, sadness has taken over me..

i m wonder how you are going to end this one.. i think a sudden twist and an hppy ending wud be nice to read...

IdleMind said...

@ gopa - that was the intent ... but now let's demolish the life and get back to the demonized being

@ Chhaya - I can relate to your poem and the influence of Bronte. But, I have also been largely influenced by this genie love thing ... the kind we witness in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' too.

@ CrAzYy..!;) - aapke andaaz mein main bhi kuchh kho-sa gaya!

@ Uncommon Sense - sudden twist is my favourite ... though the end is ready, but will post once friends have read this one. Please stay tuned. I prefer the night time too ... at least for romantic stories.

spiritual_man said...

Very interesting story.
By words "To be continued.." you have made many souls 'impatient for part II.

D.Dasgupta said...

Excellent beginning. Don't know where you are headed. However, the you killed her almost as soon as you began. I recall a similar incident in one of Cronin's novels. But it occurred towards the end. Will wait for further installments.

Deep Da

IdleMind said...

@ spiritual_man and Dipankar-da: Thank you for your interest, I am no Cronin ... yet my impatience to explore love continues.

Its my life said...

The starting of this story is very nice and looking forward for the remaining story.. The title of the story is very nice..

itsyvitsy said...

A few hours back I read your most recent post. I was so overwhelmed that I thought I would give myself time before I read another one from you. I agree with @CrAzYy..!'s comments. I wasn't reading, I was feeling it.

The sentence "Does love die like humans do?" - I must say just stole the show. I would refer it to be an ageless quote. I know I don't have to wait for the second part, but I am going to allow the feelings to settle in until I move forward.

-Vittal

P.S.: Thanks for dropping by my space, and for all the appreciation. Do stop by for my upcoming posts as well.